I can’t believe I’ve gone this long without going through the rite of passage that is the Flickr api Flex app. Well, here it is. I’ve created a new component that extends ViewStack that does the “photo shuffling” effect when you change photos here. I’ll be releasing the source code eventually (at least for the custom ViewStack component), maybe I’ll develop it a bit more and add it to FlexLib.
Things to note:
- It only loads the first 15 images for whatever you search for, if you keep clicking it will just cycle through them again
- The thumbnail is loaded first while the larger version of the image is loaded
- I had to use a PHP proxy to be able to get the images to show up in the reflection and to use bitmap smoothing on them
- The main component is a ViewStack, I just overrode the setter for selectedIndex. That entire extended ViewStack component is under 100 lines of code.
- A search for “monkey drinking beer” comes up with a series of pretty amazing photos.
View the app here (or click the screenshot below).
- Pretty sweet logo, whoever designed that must be pretty much the best person in the world. Get your 360|Flex stuff here. And if you haven't registered for 360Flex, do that here.
- I just made a quick new component and added it to FlexLib. It's a Button component, but it allows you to add any child UI components to the button via MXML. So if you find the single icon and label format of the button to be a bit too restrictive,…